Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Carter Jorgensen

Surprise! he is here!
Carter Michael Jorgensen was born on
August 3, 2010.

Sunday August 1, 2010 we went to bed with not a care in the world, only dreading Monday morning coming, which also means work! At 3:20am Monday August 2, 2010 I awoke to a weird sensation dripping down my leg, grossed out that I some how had peed my pants I jumped up, and ran to the bathroom. Soon realizing that I wasn't peeing my pants, I had no control and it was a mess everywhere. I yelled to Mike, who was still in bed telling him that my water had just broke. Although he noticed sooner than I told him, when he rolled over and quickly became wet on his bum-the bed was soaked! I cleaned myself up and walked up stairs to ask my mom what I should do, I didn't really know what was going on...her and my dad stated that we needed to get to Labor and Delivery and be checked out. We left for the L&D at EIRMC and arrived about 3:40am, got checked in and put in our first room,

There we sat around, got things checked out, had a few tests done, had an ultra sound done, and waited for quite a while. We found out here that my water had broken, that the baby was OK, he had to pass an 30 min ultrasound test in which he placed a 6/7! go baby! We also had the CRNA come talk to us about an epidural, and the things that go with that, a C-section and the pros and con's etc. We also got a visit from Dr. Oldroyd who went over every detail with things, and really wanted to post pone things as far out as possible for the baby's health. And we where also lucky to get to have one of the NICU Dr.'s come talk to us, because even if we post pond things for a while Carter was still going to be a pre-me baby and in the NICU. We went over EVERYTHING that would happen to the baby from the minute he came out, to the minute he came home, and then even a little about long term issues.

After a while we where moved into a bigger room, with a view! haha a view of the parking lot, but never the less a view and not just 4 blank walls. Here we have stayed and gone through everything. Contractions, major pain, epidural, lots of ice chips, what felt like hundreds of bed pans, family, dilating, and recovery after he was born!

The first picture here is of me when I first got to the hospital. And the second one is of me right after I had received my epidural! bliss! I'll tell you what, nothing worked for the pain until I finally was told I could have an epidural!

I was able to have some Motrin for the pain when I was having Braxton Hicks contractions but it did not work one bit! Then the contractions got worse and I was dieing in pain and bawling my head off, Dr. Oldroyd came in and checked me, only to find that I was contracting but had not dilated not even one centimeter! grrr! I got to have another round of a stronger medication, which did help a lot actually, it even let me sleep off and on for a while, and made me feel like I was so high, before the pains started getting to strong for even that medication, the nurse did another check and found that again I was contracting really strongly but not dilating! She did find that my cervix was really thin, meaning I was progressing. She called Dr. Oldroyd and he came over and came in to talk to us, as well as had the CRNA come in to prep us for the coming few hours. I was going to have this baby tonight, I was checked again and found to be 1-2 cm and then the next time he checked me I was 4-5cm and then I was given my lovely epidural, which I loved! and he checked me again and I was already at an 8cm. We got me all ready for delivery, then I was wheeled into a special delivery room that had a window for after the baby was born they handed him right over into the NICU. The delivery was pretty easy and fast, I pushed 3 times and he was out, born at 1:29am, although at 2'2" delievery should be pretty easy. Right after Carter was born Dr. Oldroyd placed him on top of my stomach until the umbilical cord was out enough for Mike to cut it. It was a neat experience having my baby placed on my tummy but I was only able to see the back of his teeny tiny little head-I didn't even dare touch him for fear of harming him. Mike cut the cord and the nurse scooped him up and headed for that NICU window. With-in a few minutes Mike left to go be with Carter and I was cleaned up, stitched up, and taken back to my room for a well deserved quick snack then I passed out!

Mike ready to help out! He looks so cute in scrubs!!!!

Mike and I right before we started pushing.

the window from delivery to NICU. after Carter was taken through this window Mike, my mom, my dad, and my mother-in-law all swarmed the window to get a better view of him. I was so thankful for all the family support I had at my delivery, even having my dad in the room was comforting for me. This was the first time my mom and my mother-in-law had seen a baby be born, and for a slight minute when he was coming out Mike looked over at them and they where both crying and had a look to them like they were going to pass out, but they didn't and they were great support and comfort for me!

Mike trying to sleep after delivery.

We woke up that night about 4am or so when the NICU Dr, Dr. Anchutz came in to talk to us about Carter. He was doing great and already had the breathing tube out and a c-pap placed, which they guessed wouldn't have happened for a few days, so he was doing great and we were so happy! It really was a big answer to so many prayers! We went back to sleep for a while, till I woke up dieing to go see my baby, so about 5:00am we walked down the hall with the nurse to the NICU to see my tiny little guy. We both got to touch him for a few minutes, it was such a indescribable experience and slightly frightening for fear of hurting or breaking him. We both loved it though so much and I am so happy that we got to do it.

right before it all happened, I got scared-nervous...so much was going through my head, I was about to have a baby...not just any baby though, a 28 week old baby...who I wouldn't even get to touch or hold or see for a while because I knew right where he was going! And even though I was so nervous, I was so confident. God was with us, family was all around us, and the Dr.'s and teams that were with us I had 100% confidence in! Things would be OK!

Watching as Carter was being taken into the NICU, and Mike was not far behind him.

Mike in with Carter right after he was born, which we both where so thankful he was able to do!

So over all, delivery went great. Carter is doing wonderful, we just have to take it day by day and see where things are going to take us. We have total faith that everything will be fine, we are praying for all to go well, and would love for your prayers also if you would please!

Mommy and Carter on his Birthday!!! He is so tiny and small and wonderful and lovable. I am so amazed at how you could love someone so much with out ever even doing anything but touching his hand for a moment.

Name: Carter Michael Jorgensen
Born: Aug 3rd, 2010
Weight: 2lbs 2 ounces
Length: 14.25 inches
Info: has steel blue eyes for now, has a good amount of dirty dish water blonde hair, doesn't like to be touched very much because of where his nerves are and how thin his skin is. He can breath pretty much all by himself already and when he cry's it sounds like a tiny puppy dogs whimper.

We just want to thank everyone so much for all their prayers, comments, calls, texts, flowers, cupcakes, food, love, support, gifts, and thoughts! We don't know where life is going to go for the next little while but with out these people in our lives we know that we couldn't have gotten through this so far. Thank you and we love you!

"WORRY is the anticipation that the outcome will be bad. FAITH is the anticipation the outcome will be good. FAITH IN GOD is the anticipation that whatever the outcome, it will be for YOUR good." -anonymous


Darci said...

Oh goodness I hope everything goes well for you 3. We will keep you in our prayers!

Greg and Brittany said...

Oh wow. How scary, but super congrats! You little family is in my prayers. Hope you are recovering well!

The Empey Fam! said...

Oh I definitly will be praying for you all!! Congrats and hope all goes well!!

Megann said...

I'm so glad little Carter is breathing on his own. That is a huge blessing! You and Mike are so strong and have immense faith.

I just wanted you to know that Libby was in EIRMC's NICU for a little while after she was born. The Dr's and nurses there are amazing and I'm very confident that Carter is in good hands.

Cinderella, the A-Train and Our Little Caboose said...

Love you guys!!

Mindee & Austin said...

Megan you are one amazing person, that must have been pretty scary having your water break and not really knowing whats going to happen..I am so happy that you both are doing good, and you guys are in our prayers. Love ya girl, I wish I was there to visit you and your sweet baby : )

And that quote at the end, has given me a new perspective on life. no joke. I loved it.

Stacie Couch said...

So glad that I got to see you yesterday! You are an inspiration to me, you seemed so cool and calm. Carter is so blessed to have you as a mom! Thanks for the story, in person and on the blog :) Love you so much!

Kristy said...

Carter is soooo tiny! soooo cute!!! I'm so glad you guys are doing so well!! Your in our thoughts and prayers!!!!

McKenzie said...

That is incredible! I am so glad that he is doing so well! You 3 are in my prayers!

Tricia said...

Congratulations! I love how you talked about loving him so much, even though you've barely seen or touched him. What a perfect way to dexcribe how a new mother feels! You'll be in our prayers! He is darling!

Stefanie said...

Yay Baby CARTER! I am so happy for you guys and will keep you in my prayers. I am glad you are recovering well! If I was there I would bring you a delicious pan of cinnamon rolls!

Becca said...

That little boy is perfect. I'm so happy for you two. I hope things go very well for him, and that he is able to grow very quickly. Best of luck to all three of you.