Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Chile Earthquake:

So as many of you are all aware my little brother Jordan is a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in Santiago, Chile. And as you are all aware, I'm sure, Chile was hit by an 8.8 earthquake early {approx: 3:30am} Saturday February 27th, 2010.

I received this new from a text about 8:00am our time
from my mom stating just this:
"Chile was hit with an 8.8 earthquake."

that's it.
I began to worry a little bit and quickly called her to find out what had happened, because we do not have cable. She proceeds to tell me that my cousin Chad called her that morning at about 7:00am and asks if she is "OK", she tells him "yes" and he proceeds to ask if she has "turned the news on", she states "no" and he tells her to "get her bum out of bed and turn the TV on, that Santiago was hit this morning with a large 8.8 earthquake." The 7th largest in the world. She then goes to the t.v. and watches for hours on end Saturday, and taking calls and texts by many concerned family members and friends.


My mom said she felt PEACE, that things were going to be OK, that he was OK. She stated that she didn't worry about his physical state, that she knew Heavenly Father would protect him, but that she worried for his emotional state. You see Jordan is a tender-hearted boy, he gets closely attached to people and my mom worried what would happen to him if something had happened to his 'chilain friends'. Mom wasn't worried, and neither where Mike and I. God would protect and provide for those who had faith and put there trust in him.
Jordan would be fine.


On Sunday afternoon, my parents received an e-mail from Jordan, stating he was OK and things where fine. That he would e-mail on Monday[his P-day].


Again, PEACE came over us.
And again, my testimony was strengthened.
My knowledge of this gospel and of Christ
have been doubled because of this experience.


Yesterday, Monday March 1, 2010 we received Jordan's e-mail,
along with some pictures.


He talked about that it felt like, how they didn't know what was going on, and most importantly how important food storage is. How no one in Chile had food, including the missionaries, and how everyone was hunting the cities for the basic essentials:bread, water, milk, eggs, ect.


Hearing that made me feel horrible knowing that those people, good people, didn't have anything to eat-and here I sat, eating all sorts of things in my house. I know that is not how we are suppose to think, that's not what was meant to come from that statement Jordan gave. Food Storage is so important, and we ALL need to have some-LDS members or not. It will save your life.


It's a relief to know that all missionaries were accounted for and safe. One elder did get slightly injured when a brick wall fell on him, but with rest and relaxation he should recover. I know this was all made possible thanks to our Father in Heaven. What a blessing to know that, and of him.


Jordan stated that although Renka, where he is located, is really poor and a ghetto he was shocked that so many homes stayed up, and how amazing it is that the house he and 3 other elders live in survived. Only because of God did it.


Here are some pictures of the after math that Jordan sent today:

I would just like to say an outwardly Thank You, to my Father-in-Heaven for protecting my brother, for keeping him safe, and for making it possible for him to continue preaching his word. Thank You!

3 comments:

Tricia said...

What a wonderful post. I heard the news in a hotel lobby on Sat. morning, and I texted your Mom right away. The Lord really will keep his missionaries safe. I'm so glad Jordan is safe, and still doing his work.

Stacie Couch said...

So glad that Jordan is okay! This month our ward goal is preparation and I am going to add a few things to our food storage. We all know how grumpy I get when I don't eat :) Love you Megs!

Greg and Brittany said...

Glad to hear he is ok!! He's in a great place and will totally be protected :)